2020 Application Instructions
NOTE: All pages must be typed in 12 font Arial with one-inch margins all around (Signature page is the only exception). The whole applications must be submitted in PDF format and emailed to the CRI office at firstname.lastname@example.org, preferably as one attachment. PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED neither will GoogleDocs. All pages must have applicants last name printed, preferably on the top corner of the pages. Essay sections should not exceed 2 pages.
Applicants must print out the Application Form Cover Page, complete the information, and sign it. Please make sure your information is legible. Applicants must collect the required parent signature and a signature from the faculty member who will be submitting a letter of recommendation on their behalf. Once the application form is signed and completed, applicants need to re-scan the form and submit as a PDF with the following material:
- Official high school transcript. (send a a PDF, do not sent a link to download from Parchment, will not be downloaded)
- Description of science, math and/or computer skills.
- Bullet points are recommended.
- NOT TO EXCEED ONE PAGE.
- Description of work, volunteer experiences, honors, and other activities.
- Examples of activities are science fairs, volunteering, work, after-school activities, internships, other opportunities, and honors.
- Please include duration/time commitment at well as description of acronyms, activities, and duties performed.
- NOT TO EXCEED ONE PAGE.
- Written Essays (NOT TO EXCEED TWO PAGES TOTAL, Arial font size 12)
- ESSAY 1 – Personal Statement: Please summarize the reasons that you are applying for this program, what you hope to gain by participating in YSFP, and how it fits into your future educational and career objectives. Please be sure to include any previous experiences and how they have contributed to or influenced your interest/motivation to pursue science. (1,000 word maximum).
- ESSAY 2 – Diversity Statement: At UC Irvine, the CRI is committed to increasing the diversity (broadly defined) of students pursuing degrees in science. Please describe how your interests and background (in terms of culture, race, gender, ethnicity, work and life experiences) would contribute to that diversity and why diversity is important for a research team and in science. (300 word maximum).
- (Optional) ESSAY 3 – Additional Information: Please feel free to provide any additional information you would like the admissions committee to know as we review your application (150 word maximum).
- Letter of support/recommendation from the faculty sponsor must be emailed separately to email@example.com from the faculty directly. THE STUDENT’S NAME MUST BE IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE EMAIL. The faculty member you choose to write your letter of recommendation is also the one who completes the signature on the application page.