Applications: Applications can be downloaded from the UCI Cancer Research Institute website HERE. The program is open to currently enrolled high school junior or senior students in Orange County who meet the qualifications listed below.
Deadline: Applications must be RECEIVED NO LATER THAN MARCH 8, 2019 by 5:00 pm. Email applications to: email@example.com
Accepted applicants will be contacted in May 2019 and given additional training prior to orientation. Accepted students will be given additional instructions and lab assignments at the orientation.
Description: The University of California, Irvine, Cancer Research Institute is offering an opportunity for outstanding high school juniors and seniors to participate in a summer science research lab program. The program is designed for high school students who show a strong interest in gaining experience in cancer research.
The purpose of this program is to:
- Gain a realistic understanding of practical lab bench work procedures.
- Obtain an initial understanding of cancer related research and research in general.
- Have direct contact with science professionals and institutions that can be used in planning future education/career tracts.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled high school juniors or seniors (at the time of filing the application) attending a school in Orange County. **Students enrolled as Sophomores going into their Junior year, are NOT eligible and their applications will not be reviewed. Click for full list of eligible schools.
- Each applicant must have a faculty “sponsor” at the high school who will write a letter of support attesting to his/her skills, education and interest in science. Letters of support/recommendation from must be emailed separately by the sponsor to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF file with the STUDENT NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE EMAIL.
- Applicants must have completed at minimum one high school chemistry/lab class and one biology class prior to the beginning of the Youth Science Fellowship Program. (Meaning students may be enrolled in both a biology and a chemistry class during the application submission, as long as they complete the class/es before the summer program starts; students may also take a semester of community college biology/chemistry in place of this requirement; transcripts must be included in the application as verification)
- Program participants are required to have full availability Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Participants are required to be in their labs at least 6 hours per day and the hours will vary. Therefore, students who attend summer school or any other programs during this time are not eligible (no exceptions). Full attendance is expected for this program, please ensure you do not have conflicting obligations or vacation during the program schedule. If you have any possible conflicts, please inform us when you submit your application.
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the lab site. **If this is a conflict, please share that in your application. You may also email the CRI office at CRI@uci.edu to address any concerns you you may have.
- Participants are REQUIRED to attend the final presentation session at the end of the program. Participants will present a PowerPoint presentation of their lab experience and research as well as present a poster during a poster session. If you cannot attend the final presentation date, you do not meet the requirements of completing this program.
- Previous student participants are not eligible to apply.
- If selected for the program, student must provide the following documents:
- Immunization Records
- Proof of health insurance
- Photo ID (California Driver’s License/ID card or school identification card)
Selection: A Committee comprising of Cancer Research Institute employees/volunteers will review applications and select final candidates. Outstanding Students displaying a sincere interest in cancer research or related science careers will be given the highest consideration.
Lab Placement: Participants will work under the supervision of a research team in a laboratory affiliated with the UCI Cancer Research Institute. Each participant will be trained in lab procedures selected by the research team. Participants will participate in a weekly session with the UCI Cancer Research Institute staff that will include sharing of experiences with other students in the program, seminar lectures, and research related information updates.
For students accepted in the Youth Fellows Program, participation will run for six-weeks, starting June 22- August 3, 2018.
Acceptance emails are sent out May 2018.