Applications: Applications can be downloaded from the UCI Cancer Research Institute website. The program is open to current high school junior or senior students in Orange County who meet the qualifications listed below.
Deadline: Applications must be RECEIVED NO LATER THAN MARCH 3, 2017 5:00 pm. Email all applications to: email@example.com
Accepted applicants will be contacted and invited to an orientation where they will be given additional instructions and lab assignments.
Description: The University of California, Irvine, Cancer Research Institute is offering an opportunity for outstanding high school juniors and seniors to participate in a summer science lab program. The program is designed for high school students who show a strong interest in gaining experience in cancer research. The purpose of this program is to:
- Gain a realistic understanding of practical lab procedures.
- Obtain an initial understanding of cancer related research and research in general.
- Have direct contact with science professionals and institutions that can be used in planning future education/career tracts.
Eligibility: Students are eligible for this program under the following criteria:
- Applicants must be a high school junior or senior (at the time of filing the application) attending a school in Orange County. Applicants must submit an official high school transcript. Students enrolled as Sophomores going into Junior year, are NOT eligible.
- Each applicant must have a faculty “sponsor” at the high school who will write a letter of support attesting to his/her skills, education and interest in science. Letter of support/recommendation from the faculty sponsor must be emailed separately from the application by the sponsor to firstname.lastname@example.org with the STUDENT NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE EMAIL.
- Applicants must submit a personal statement describing their interest and reason for applying to the program, typed in 12 font Arial with one-inch margin, single spaced, NOT TO EXCEED ONE PAGE.
- Applicants must have completed at minimum one high school chemistry/science lab class and one biology class prior to beginning of the Youth Fellows Program.
- Program participants are required to attend lab six-hours a day Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Therefore, students will not be able to attend summer school or any other programs during this time. Full attendance is expected for this program, please ensure you do not have conflicting obligations or vacation during the program schedule. If you have any possible conflicts, please inform us when you submit your application.
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the lab site. *If this is a conflict, again please share that in your application.
- Participants are required to attend the final presentation session at the end of the program held on August 4th, 2017. They will present a PowerPoint presentation of their lab experience and research.
- Previous student participants are not eligible to apply.
- If selected for the program, student must complete UCI on-line safety training prior to the program start date. Also, student must provide proof of health insurance, proof of immunizations and photo ID (driver license, or school ID etc.)
Selection: A Committee comprising of Cancer Research Institute employees/volunteers will review applications and select final candidates. Outstanding Students displaying a sincere interest in cancer research or related science careers will be given the highest consideration.
Lab Placement: Participants will work under the supervision of a research team in a laboratory affiliated with the UCI Cancer Research Institute. Each participant will be trained in lab procedures selected by the research team. Participants will participate in a weekly session with the UCI Cancer Research Institute staff that will include sharing of experiences with other students in the program, lectures, and research related information updates.
For students accepted in the Youth Fellows Program, participation will run for six-weeks, starting June 23- August 4, 2017.
Acceptance emails are sent out May, 2017.